Women’s Soccer Topples NCAA II No. 1 Barry 2-0

Credit: Zach Fedewa

Alison Smalling/ERAU Athletics

The Embry-Riddle women’s soccer team (4-2) faced top-ranked NAIA opponents twice in the last three seasons. On both occasions, the Blue and Gold recorded the upset. Saturday’s game continued that trend as the Eagles toppled NCAA II No. 1 Barry(5-1) 2-0 at the ERAU Soccer Stadium.

“They fought really hard today. We didn’t have the normal technical showing that we’re used to, but just gutted it out and found a way to win and I’m really proud of them. So many times we’ve been the better team and not gotten the result so it was nice to be on the other side this time, and to find a way to get this win against a very good Barry team.

“I want to congratulate Denise [Brolly] and her squad. Truthfully, I think they were the better team on the night; we just found a way to take advantage of our opportunities and then defend well, especially later in the second half when we were trying to hold on to the lead. They are a good side and I think they’re going to cause some problems, not only in the regular season, but in the postseason as well.”

The Eagles got on the board early, netting their first goal in the fourth minute. Andrea Froshaug slipped a pass through to Guro Naess Berge on the right side of the box. The freshman delivered a low, first-touch cross to Katherine Ebbs on the other side of the box and the senior took advantage of an open goal and slotted home her first goal of the year with her first touch to put ERAU up 1-0.

Eight minutes later, the Eagles struck again. Once again, Froshaug found Berge on the right and this time Berge took the shot herself. She caught the goalkeeper flat-footed and lifted the ball into the upper netting for a two-goal Eagle cushion, which they took into the halftime break.

While the Eagles still worked to create opportunities to increase their lead, it was the Buccaneers who held a decisive advantage in shots (12-3) and corner kicks (5-2) in the second frame. The Eagles did well to withstand the pressure despite many dangerous chances, including a shot by Rayah Seckler that went off the post with 27 minutes left.

Olivia Lynch was a force in the nets for the Eagles on Saturday as she finished the game with eight saves, four of which were made on shots in close range. The shutout was the third of the season for Lynch, while the Buccaneers’ Paula Forero surrendered twice as many goals on Saturday as the Buccaneers had allowed in their previous five contests combined.

The Eagles will be back in action at 7 p.m. on Wednesday when they host Nova Southeastern at the ERAU Soccer Stadium.

“This is the end to a really hard week with Stetson, Rollins and Barry,” Bohon concluded. “We’re thrilled to have found a way with some heavy legs and some injuries to still get the result tonight. Our top priority right now is to catch our breaths, exhale a little bit, recover and then focus on our upcoming game against a good Nova Southeastern team on Wednesday.”